1. “You can’t build a better past” – Don Shannon. This is so incredibly true, so stop worrying about what you could’ve done; instead learn from the past, and then start thinking about what you can do to be better.
2. On that note – get yourself a good mentor. An hour with an amazing mentor can do wonders for your career. I always leave with a clear vision and inspiration for weeks to come.
3. Employee reviews are so incredibly productive and positive for both employers and employees, I highly recommend doing them as often as you are able (whether monthly or quarterly).
4. Breakups don’t have to be hard. If you are feeling like the working relationship isn’t productive, chances are so are they. Schedule a call and talk it through, and the outcome will most likely be a positive one.
5. As hard as you might try, you can’t always please everyone. In the off chance that this happens… work your butt off 20x harder to get out of the “penalty box” (as a wise acquaintance so called it).